Monday, March 19, 2012

Tie-Dyed Girl Scouts

It's really amazing that the year I get involved in the Girl Scouts again for my daughter, happens to be the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouts.  I was a Girl Scout as a child, and remember loving it.  I had a friend from school who's mom was the leader.  We went to camp, we sang songs, we went to the zoo.  I loved being a girl scout so my daughter thought she would too.  This lead to me being a troop leader in the year 2012. 

So, as a fun little troop project, I decided to have our troop tie-dye some white shirts.  I got the shirts from local crafting stores, and it took several stores over several days to get enough girls youth size small white shirts, but I found them.  I also purchased plastic aprons, and a simple tie-die kit.  The project went well with minimal mess. The shirts turned out better then I expected, and then I decided to make it more complicated.  I wanted to put a logo on the shirts, so the girls could wear their shirts to school on the 100th Birthday as a troop.  Then after that, they can wear the shirts anytime, and even under their uniform. 

I found some iron-on transfer paper online, and read some reviews and thought I would give it a go.  Well once it came down to it, I realized my approved Girl Scout Logo had a white back ground around the logo and the words. I printed it on my ink jet printer and it looked fantastic.  However the white, which would show on the tie-died shirts unless I cut out all the letters, which I was not about to do for every girl and leaders.  I ended up just printing and cutting out just the 100 logo and ironing them on each shirt over their heart.  The shirts as you can see below, turned out fantastic.  All the girls wore them to school, on the 100th Birthday, it was a lot of fun. 

The greatest part I had in all this, was when I handed each shirt back to the girl who had made it.  The excited, smiling face would just be beaming with pride.  "You made this."  I told them each, when they flashed the wide eyed look of surprise when I handed them over. The face, the emotion, the pride, the feeling it gave me was priceless.  All the running around and planning was worth it just for that.  Not to mention every time they wear them, they have a story behind it, that they made it. We also had a birthday party themed meeting with cupcakes and they all earned their first patch. It was a great week, we had fun celebrating.

Girl Scouts may be about many things, but I am so glad I became a part of it, again.  The rewards, even this early on in our new little troop are great, not only for me, but most importantly for each girl.  To have fun, happy, inspiring experiences with other girls that want the same things.  Empowering girls with knowledge and creativity is what I wish for my girls and all of my troop girls as well.


1 comment:

  1. You go Cuz! I loved this post and I think it's sooo awesome that you're their troop leader. What a fun project, you KNOW they're going to remember that forever!

    ReplyDelete